With more time being spent online, it remains crucial for parents and children to be vigilant about cybersafety. UNICEF has published a number of important reminders to keep children safe online and we have summarised them below:
- Ensure children’s devices have the latest software updates and antivirus programs;
- Have open dialogues with children on how and with whom they are communicating online;
- Work with children to establish rules for how, when, and where the internet can be used;
- Be alert to signs of distress in children that may emerge in connection with their online activity,
- Be familiar with local reporting mechanisms and have access to numbers of support helplines and hotlines handy.