The Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
The Upper School is inspected annually by the Ontario Ministry of Education and is authorized to grant credits for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), a degree that is recognized by universities around the world for direct admission. From Grades 9-12, students follow academic credit courses leading to the OSSD. The Ontario Minister of Education, on the recommendation of the Principal, awards the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) to a student who has earned a minimum of 110 hours of instruction. Students enrol in eight courses per year, four per day on a Day 1/2/3/4 rotation.
Two levels of courses can be offered in Grades 9 and 10: Applied and Academic. In Grades 11 and 12, there are four levels that can be offered: University (U), University/College (M), College (C) and Workplace (E). Open Courses (O) such as Physical Education can be offered in all four years. At CDNIS all courses are offered at the Academic Level in Grades 9 and 10 and the University Level or the University/College Level in Grades 11 and 12.
In order to earn the Ontario Diploma, a student must successfully be awarded the following credits :
- 4 English (Grade 9, 10, 11 12)
- 3 Mathematics (Grade 9, 10 11)
- 2 Science (Grade 9, 10)
- 1 French (or substituted language)
- 1 Canadian History
- 1 Canadian Geography
- 1 Arts (music, art of drama
- 1 Health and Physical Education
- 0.5 Career Studies
- 0.5 Civics
- 1 additional credit in English, or Social Sciences or Humanities, or Canadian or World Studies, or International Languages
- 1 additional credit in Health or Physical Education of the Arts of Business Studies
- 1 additional credit in Science (Grade 11 or 12) or Technology Education
- Earn 12 additional optional credits
- Complete 40 hours of community service activities
- Successfully complete the Ontario Secondary Schools Literacy Test (OSSLT)
Course sequencing, options and descriptions available at CDNIS can be accessed here
To learn more about the OSSD, visit this link. Details about the Diploma requirements can be found here.